Headlines World News

N. Korea, US vow to keep talking after Hanoi summit collapse

Share this story:
n korea us vow keep talking after hanoi summit collapse
North Korean students read newspaper coverage of Kim Jong Un’s summit with US President Donald Trump

North Korea on Friday promised further negotiations with the US despite a spectacular failure to strike a nuclear deal at their Hanoi summit, with both sides keeping the door of diplomacy open.

The high-stakes second meeting between the North’s leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump broke up in disarray Thursday, without even a joint statement.

In the aftermath, each sought to blame the other’s intransigence for the deadlock.

Trump insisted Pyongyang wanted all sanctions imposed on it over its banned weapons programmes lifted, and this was a bridge too far.

But in a rare late-night press briefing, the North Korean foreign minister said Pyongyang had only wanted some of the measures eased, and that its proposal to close “all the nuclear production facilities” at its Yongbyon complex was its best and final offer.

MORE:  Tinubu signs student loan bill into law - how to apply

Despite the stalemate, the North’s official KCNA news agency reported Friday that the two leaders had had a “constructive and candid exchange.”

trump kim summit
North’s leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump

Relations between the two countries — on opposite sides of the technically still-unfinished Korean War — had been “characterised by mistrust and antagonism” for decades, it said.

Despite “inevitable hardships and difficulties” on the way to forging a new relationship, KNCA described the Hanoi summit as “successful” and said Kim had promised Trump another encounter.

An unusually downcast Trump told reporters on Thursday that he would “rather do it right than do it fast,” adding: “Sometimes you have to walk and this was just one of those times.”

Follow us

Soldiers invades Nnamdi Kanu’s home

Subscribe To Our Channel

Got a news tip?

If you have a story for our news team or firsthand information, pictures about a news story to pass to us, send it via WhatsApp +2348077609539 or email us at contact@asbnews.ng

MORE:  OJ Simpson, ex-football star acquitted of murder, dies at 76

To report a correction or typo, delete a post or for republishing rights, call or WhatsApp us +2348077609539. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Click Banner To Get N100,000 Bonus Now!

When you register on 1xBet using this promo code asbnewsng, you can unlock a fantastic bonus offer of N100,000! Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity. Try it now!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *