Kubrat Pulev has claimed that his fight with Anthony Joshua has been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic, however, there appears to have been a misunderstanding.
The IBF mandatory challenger, who is due to face AJ on June 20, told media in his native Bulgaria on Thursday that the fight would be pushed back.
Pulev told BTV: “It is impossible for the fight to take place on June 20, although I am ready.
“The match will take place a few months later, perhaps towards the end of the year.”
Just a couple of hours later, his co-promoter John Wirt of Epic Sports clarified to BoxingScene: “I can confirm that we only told Kubrat that there is a chance that his fight will be postponed, but as of the moment, it is still scheduled for June 20.
“Since we never had a formal press conference to announce the fight and therefore tickets were not put on sale, there is no rush for us to make a decision now to postpone a fight that is still more than [three] months out.
“As more information becomes available and we begin to see how things are going to develop, we will be consulting with our partners at Matchroom and Top Rank about whether we need to push the June 20 date back to later this summer.”
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has previously admitted there is every chance the fight with Pulev will end up being postponed.
As thing stands though, he insists this is not yet the case.
Hearn added: “We are still shooting for June 20 and are regular contact with Tottenham [Stadium].
“If there is an extension to the Premier League season then we may look to push back to July but right now June 20 is very much the focus.”
Got a news tip?
If you have a story for our news team or firsthand information or pictures about a news story to pass to us, send it via WhatsApp +2348077609539 or email us at email@example.com
Need a website like ASB News?
Get a website like this and earn cool cash for yourself, or for your business for just NGN14,999 ($41.32). Call or send us a WhatsApp message +2348077609539.