World News

Trump blames China for ‘mass Worldwide killing’

Share this story:

US President Donald Trump on Wednesday again lashed out at China over the coronavirus pandemic, blaming Beijing for “mass Worldwide killing.”

His early morning tweet, which also referred to an unidentified “wacko in China,” was the latest heated rhetoric from the White House, where Trump is making attacks on Beijing a centrepiece of his November reelection bid.

“It was the ‘incompetence of China’, and nothing else, that did this mass Worldwide killing,” the president tweeted.

MORE:  Trump says coronavirus crisis 'worse than 9/11 attacks, Pearl Harbor
MORE:  Biden predicts Trump will try to postpone US election

The virus first appeared in the Chinese city of Wuhan last December and spread rapidly around the world, killing more than 323,000 people at the latest count, and triggering huge economic damage.

Trump initially played down the seriousness of the threat and said repeatedly he believed China was addressing the outbreak.

He later pivoted to blaming China for allowing the international spread.

The White House has also suggested, without offering evidence so far, that the virus originated in a laboratory and was accidentally released.

Trump has made repeated but vague threats of retaliation against the chief US economic rival.

He has also threatened to break off US funding to the World Health Organization over what he says was its assistance to China in covering up the extent of the outbreak.

MORE:  More Americans will die if Trump cancels peace talks – Taliban

The diplomatic rift is rapidly opening just after Trump had been celebrating a truce in his trade war with China and comes after months of effusive praise for his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping.

– US ‘lies’ –

Tempers are also fraying in China, where foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian previously provoked Washington’s ire by promoting a conspiracy theory that the virus was first brought to China by the US military.

Pushing back at Trump’s WHO criticism, Zhao on Wednesday highlighted what he called the “many mistakes and loopholes on the US side, their lies and rumours.”

“The US has seemingly forgotten that in the past, US leaders have repeatedly and publicly praised China’s anti-epidemic work,” Zhao said.

MORE:  72 Nigerians Tested Positive For Coronavirus In Guangzhou - China Writes FG
MORE:  Students in China's virus centre Wuhan return to school

Zhao blamed US politicians “who want to shift the blame but can’t shift it away.”

During a phone call with Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, Xi also appeared to swipe at the United States.

“Xi emphasised that China opposes actions that interfere with international anti-epidemic cooperation and harm the world’s –- and especially developing countries’ — efforts to fight the pandemic,” state news agency Xinhua reported.

“China is willing to continue to work with the international community, including Bangladesh, to support the WHO’s leadership role, promote international joint prevention and control cooperation, and safeguard global public health security,” Xi said.

But US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told a news conference on Wednesday that the COVID-19 crisis had ended US illusions of close ties with China, saying “we greatly underestimated the degree to which Beijing is ideologically and politically hostile to free nations.”

Pompeo, a close Trump ally, said China was led by a “brutal, authoritarian regime.”

“The Chinese Communist Party’s response to the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan has accelerated our more realistic understanding of Communist China,” he said.

“Today, as we all sit here this morning, Beijing continues to deny investigators access to relevant facilities, to withhold live virus samples, to censor discussion on the pandemic within China and much, much more.”

MORE:  China has started work on what will be the world's biggest football stadium

AFP

Follow us

CHINA: Diplomat Fights For Nigerians

Got a news tip?

If you have a story for our news team or firsthand information, pictures about a news story to pass to us, send it via WhatsApp +2348077609539 or email us at contact@asbnews.ng

To report a correction or typo, delete a post or for republishing rights, call or WhatsApp us +2348077609539. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Need a website like ASB News?

Get a news website for yourself for just NGN14,999 ($41.32). WhatsApp: +2348077609539.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *