WBO, IBF, WBA, IBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua says Dillian Whyte could have had a world title opportunity over a year ago – when he offered him a rematch, which was targeted for April 2019 in a UK stadium.
Whyte rejected the offer, which he revealed to the BBC was 4 million pounds. Whyte was annoyed that he was offered far less than what Tyson Fury was offered to fight Joshua.
When Whyte turned down the fight, Joshua went in another direction – making his United States debut in June of the same year against Andy Ruiz, who would pull off a massive upset when he stopped the British star in seven rounds.
Joshua, who knocked out Whyte in seven rounds in 2015, was ringside on Saturday when Whyte was knocked out cold by Alexander Povetkin at Matchroom’s Fight Camp in Brentwood.
Because of their history, Joshua is not ruling out the possibility of rematching Whyte in the future.
“As long as I am champion he always has a chance,” Joshua told BBC’s 5 Live Boxing.
“I offered Dillian to fight me in 2019 before I fought Andy Ruiz Jr. He turned it down. Dillian, if you want that world title shot and I haven’t got any obligations, then come and get this work.”
As previously reported, Joshua believes Whyte let Povetkin off the hook when he dropped him twice in the fourth round.
“I believe if you smell or see a drop of blood you have to take them out. If you leave it a round or two you just don’t know. If a man gets a hope and a lifeline he might just bounce back. If I see you hurt I am going to blitz you and Dillian needs to get back to that mindset,” Joshua said.
“The last thing you lose is your power. Povetkin is a bit shaky on the legs but the foundations these guys have, I don’t think you can give them an inch of hope. They will take any opportunity, and opportunity matched with power is knockouts.”
Whyte is now heading in the direction of a rematch with Povetkin.
Soldiers invades Nnamdi Kanu’s home
Got a news tip?
If you have a story for our news team or firsthand information, pictures about a news story to pass to us, send it via WhatsApp +2348077609539 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Banner To Get N100,000 Bonus Now!
When you register on 1xBet using this promo code asbnewsng, you can unlock a fantastic bonus offer of N100,000! Don't miss out on this exciting opportunity. Try it now!
Founder/editor-in-chief – ASB News. If you’d like to get in touch with me, feel free to follow any of my social links below.